Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What a pain

I've been "lucky" enough to contract something so I spent a good share of the weekend with a cold. I ended up staying home from work sick yesterday (calling in sick to work for only the second time in my entire life). I was bored out of my mind in the afternoon so I kept trying to get ready for work but just couldn't do it. I started feeling a bit better last night and this morning it was back to feeling just like a cold. So I went to work.

Due to some serious swelling and hives on and around my eye, I decided to go to the doctor because I really didn't want to go blind. They tested me for the flu because of my symptoms and my eye showed no sign of damage so they tested me for mono as well due to the sudden swelling and intense watering. Negative on the flu test. Positive on a severe cold...and mono. What?? I have no idea when (had to have been within the last 4-7 weeks) or how (most likely a carrier who coughed on or around me) or from whom, but I've contracted mono. There are some additional concerns because I am pregnant (namely my liver and my spleen rupturing) but my doctor will be watching me and the baby and I need to take it easy for a while. This is a pain. I hate being sick and I hate having limitations on what I can and can't do. But such is life and I'll make the best of a not-so-fun situation.

7 comments:

Allie said...

I'm so sorry Chelle! I feel so bad for you. I told Jeff I'd bring you a treat on Friday since you live to far away to do it tonight. Love ya and get better.

Anonymous said...

oh man! i'm sorry chelle! i hope you get better soon! you will be in my prayers. Love you!

heather said...

Oh my gosh!! That is a pain! I hope you feel better soon and that everything goes ok. Love ya!

deb said...

Oh michelle. I am so sorry. I will pray for you. I really will. right after I get done writing this.I will go in and say a little prayer just for you. I can't imagine having mono during the last trimester. just try to not get too discouraged and this too will pass and when it does it will be worth it all. love you

Carlee Hoopes said...

I'm really sorry. That sucks. Let me know if you need anything!

Adam and Cami said...

Oh man michelle! I'm really sorry to hear that! I too have had mono, not while I was pregnant, but it was bad enough, i can't imagine having mono and being pregnant! My words of advice would be to SERIOUSLY take it easy! Don't over-do anything! And make sure you put Jeff to work to help you out with everything! he's a good guy, I know he'll take care of you! And if we can do anything, let me know! Love you!

Angie said...

Mono sucks, if I can do anything for you let me know.