Friday, September 28, 2012

Landon starts preschool

The biggest reason that turning three for Landon was such a big deal was that he started preschool.  Since he was four months old he has been visited a couple times a month by a vision specialist for his aniridia.  When he became delayed on speech and fine motors skills, and we realized he had sensory input issues, and some developmental issues we added to his team of early intervention services a developmental specialist (Note:  we absolutely LOVED her!!!!  She was amazing with him, and I honestly think she was by far the biggest help to him he could have received with his speech and other things), an occupational therapist, and a speech therapist (though I don't think she really did much for him).  When he turned three he was all of a sudden done with them.  It was sad for me because they helped us get through so much and I understood what was happening.  A few weeks before he turned three, Jeff and I met with a team of people to discuss his IEP which was basically to tell us what our options were for him, discuss their recommendations, then it was up to us to decide where he would go (district pre-school program or preschool at the school for the blind).  This will be revisited each year until we all feel he doesn't need any more specialized help.


So the day after he turned three years old, Landon started preschool.  He goes twice a week for 2.5 hours and that's just right for him.  So far he has done pretty well (one day was a bit rough when I left). The teachers seem great and he's adapted well to that environment.  There are 9 kids in the class now, all of which are boys.

2 comments:

Allie said...

He looks so darn cute. I'm happy he's adjusting well. He's getting too big.

Megan said...

I love how eager he looks :)