Monday, June 16, 2008

One Down, One To Go

Jeff played in the Annual Weber State Alumni golf tournament (thanks Zions Bank!) this year at The Barn. He has played in it 5 years of the 7 they've done it which is fun. He normally raves about the food--treats of some sort on every hole ranging from Haagen Daas ice cream to amazingly delicious cookies to drinks and then a good lunch to top off the day.

This year, unfortunately, some lady was put in charge and didn't do the tournament justice. Jeff brought me one of the cookies which was marginal but I'm grateful he thought of me nevertheless. There weren't drinks on every hole like normal. And there was no Haagen Daas icecream which I heard was a major disappointment to most in attendance...especially if they'd played before.

Jeff had a blast and I'm glad he got to go enjoy a golf day (especially since I didn't have to pay for it) but there was one particularly shining moment. Jeff was using a practice driver that he'd been looking at and as he stepped up to the tee that marked he "long drive competition" he smacked the ball perfectly. He looked back at his team members, not believing his own eyes, and the looks on their faces confirmed what he thought he saw. He had driven the ball perfectly. He added his name to the paper and moved on. However, when they were doing the awards at the end, they called his name as the winner. Yes, my friends, he had a 337 yard drive that made him the proud displayer of this little beauty (which, by the way, I'm sure will be displayed in our home for quite some time).
Needless to say, that drive (and the rest of the game) sealed the deal and made up Jeff's mind. He has loved his Callaway Biggest Big Bertha for a good 10 years but it dropped down a notch only to be replaced by this:

4 comments:

Carlee Hoopes said...

Wow, congratulations to Jeff! I'm thinking Kory could have put up some good competition for that trophy though. ;)

I would have been disappointed at the food too! What a rip off!

Bri said...

Congrats, Jeff! What a cool trophy...it looks great on display.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jeff. Looks like all those lessons I've given you are finally paying off.

That's the club I hit the best with at the demo days last week, so if you don't mind I'll be borrowing it whenever we hit the links together.

Kristina said...

I found your blog and thought I would say hi, so HI... I knew Jeff way back when...
Way to GO... Um leave it to Jeff to complain about not having good food. I thought it was about the game not the food...LOL..
Hope all is well, and what an awesome trophy...